I expected far worse than I got, however. There was some surface rust, of course, and that needed to be sanded out. I used 320 grit sandpaper and mineral spirits, then cleaned it up with WD40 to keep it from rusting again.
|Before sanding (left) and after sanding.|
The original blade was shot, so that had to go. Factory blades are crap anyway, so no sweat.
Apart from a little paint and poly overspray, though, there was surprisingly little that needed to be done apart from scraping off the gunk.
Within an hour or so, I had the rails reinstalled, a new blade, and a freshly sanded and waxed table top. Time for a test cut!
That's right: my ten-year-old table saw -- abused, neglected, and forlorn its whole life -- cut like a champ. The fence was rigid and straight. The rails were true and smooth. The blade was perfectly perpendicular. Talk about a score!
The only downside, of course, is that the owner did not have the blade guard and splitter, so I have to be extremely careful. Fortunately, I work primarily with plywood, pine, and soft hardwoods, so I'm not extremely concerned about a blade-pinch kickback (though I'm always vigilant). Once I scrape up the pennies, though, I'm in the market for some after-market safety gear.